Saturday, May 14, 2005

Thorn or messenger?

but out of them all the Lord delivered me.   That's 3 different places: Antioch, Iconium, & Lystra.... Out of them all, the Lord delivered him.... I was wondering, do U believe the Lord ever healed Paul of the thorn in his flesh?.... Perhaps this deliverence is speaking of something else, but I have heard some1 refer 2 this verse as proof that the Lord healed Paul of the thorn in his flesh later on in life.... J/w about your thoughts on this....
I see the answer in the verse that speaks of the thorn in the flesh, but I see things too simply perhaps?   2 Cor 12:7  And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2 Cor 12:8  For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
2 Cor 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Cor 12:10  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
  The messenger of Satan...A messenger is an angel or devil of satan. Where does satan get to us first? In our thoughts, perhaps reminding Paul of his former wicked life. Wearing him down. Secondly the angel could direct another or others to persecute Paul. Most especially the Jewish leaders who opposed the gospel message. Everywhere he went they would follow.     buffet...Main Entry: [2]buffet
Date: 13th century
transitive senses
1 : to strike sharply especially with the hand :
CUFF
2 : to strike repeatedly :
BATTER <the waves buffeted the shore>
3 : to drive, force, move, or attack by or as if by repeated blows
intransitive senses
: to make one's way especially under difficult conditions
  Sounds like physical persecution...

No comments: