Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Luke-All things are clean unto you

Luke 11:37  And as he spake, a certain Pharisee besought him to dine with him: and he went in, and sat down to meat.
Luke 11:38  And when the Pharisee saw it, he marvelled that he had not first washed before dinner.
 

 The Pharisee observed many ceremonial laws and expected Jesus to do likewise. Jesus never broke God's law.

Luke 11:39  And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.
Luke 11:40  Ye fools, did not he that made that which is without make that which is within also?
  

Picture a cup that is very clean on the outside, but on the inside is filthy. This is as the Pharisees. They loved to be seen and admired by others wearing their long religious robes, observing their laws to be seen of men.  

1 Sam 16:7  But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.  

Jesus knew the heart of the Pharisee who accused him. Jesus has a pure heart, He is God come in a man. God the Son, whose spirit came in the form of a man, Jesus. The world likes to accuse those of Christ, they first accused Him of sinning. Jesus turns the thoughts back around to the accuser. Accusers seldom are perfect, they are hiding their own sins by being aggressive.

Luke 11:41  But rather give alms of such things as ye have; and, behold, all things are clean unto you.  

Give alms, share your abundance with the poor and behold all things are clean unto you. Jesus spoke of the new thing, the New Covenant in his blood. No longer will the dietary laws be in affect, all things shall be made clean to eat. This was revealed to Peter in the book of acts.  

Acts 11:5  I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:
Acts 11:6  Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Acts 11:7  And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
Acts 11:8  But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
Acts 11:9  But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Acts 11:10  And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.

This was a new thing to the Jews. This also meant that God had cleansed the non-Jews, the Gentiles through faith in Jesus.  

2 Cor 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Their motive was laid open before the Lord and He called them on it. It's one thing to sin; then see--> confess--> repent. It's another to play the part of the hypocrite. Isaiah got a  glimpse of himself and went "Woe is me!" The Pharisees, just went "Look at me!" ...I do this I do that. I thank God I am not this guy; etc. Good insights (as usual) Super. space, out