Sunday, May 1, 2005

Luke: Ask

  Luke 11:5  And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;  

You can go to a friend at midnight, when in need.  

 Prov 17:17  A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Luke 11:6  For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
Luke 11:7  And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.
 

We sometimes would rather not be bothered.

Luke 11:8  I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.  

Because of his bothersome persistance, his boldness to continue asking, the man gave him his request, just to shut him up. The friend was a nuisance, but he got what he had requested. Think of Jesus as our best friend.  

Heb 4:15  For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16  Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Luke 11:9  And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.  

God is not seeing us as a nuisance. God is not asleep and if we are his friend he will hear our request, we need not continue begging him. Ask in faith based on your relationship to him through the Lord Jesus Christ.   Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, his things and you shall find; knock, inquire of God and he shall open up the blessings of God to you; now, that is a true friend.

Luke 11:10  For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Jesus is speaking to everyone chosen of the Father.  

John 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:14  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
John 15:15  Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
John 15:16  Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Ask on the basis of your relationship to the Lord Jesus Christ, he is our best friend and our Lord. Has he not promised?

Eaglewings New Testament Studies

No comments: