Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Luke-treasure

    Luke 12:16  And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:  

A rich man, a man already wealthy is blessed with a large harvest.

Luke 12:17  And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?  

He thought within himself, he did not consult God, because he was rich and trusted in his riches. A rich man is a covetous man, never having enough. This parable was for the man who wanted more of his brothers inheritance, he too was covetous and only spoke to Jesus because he wanted him to make him have more money. It is not wise to seek God only for material wealth, he knows what you need.

Luke 12:18  And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.  

He wanted a building program so that he could have more room for all his goods. God is not interested in buildings or warehouses, he wants your heart. There are many big expensive church buildings with few people in them. Why waste God's money? Why build a warehouse to store wealth if your heart is not rich towards God? Who are we pleasing?  

Luke 12:19  And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.  

It was all flesh, the desires of the flesh.
 

Luke 12:20  But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?  

Who are you building for? Who will inherit your wealth? You can't take it where you are going. Is God impressed with your worldly splendor? Your soul will be required of you. What have you waiting for you, did you think of eternity?  

Luke 12:21  So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.  

This is a warning to those seeking the riches of this world with no thought of God and his judgment. What does God want from you?

No comments: