Thursday, May 18, 2006

Mark - Thou shalt deny me

Thou shalt deny me

Mark 14:27 And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

(NKJV) Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: 'I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered.'

Without a shepherd, they would fall away in fear. That's why Jesus would say later:

Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Jesus did everything through the Father's will. This was also His will; to wait until power would come to them to follow and witness -- in the Spirit.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Comforter, sent by the Father, in the name of Jesus. He would be as Jesus at our side.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

No matter what comes, there is His peace and presence with his disciples.

Mark 14:28 But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee.

He was comforting them, after he is risen, He will be with them again, for a time. Death cannot hold Jesus in the ground. He has overcome death and the grave.

Mark 14:29 But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I.

Perhaps Peter still remembered the words of Jesus at the last supper? He assured him that he would not be the one to betray the Lord!

Mark 14:21 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

Mark 14:30 And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice.

That was not what Peter wanted to hear. Sometimes the Lord's message is not what we want to hear, but we had better hear!

Woe to those who will not hear the word of God!

2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2 Tim 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Mark 14:31 But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all.

Peter with all his heart, and flesh will, wanted to be loyal to Jesus. He had not yet received the permanent presence of the Holy Spirit, but he would at Pentecost. Then he would have power to do God's will. We fail in the flesh.

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

No comments: