Friday, May 5, 2006

Mark - Sinning against God

Sinning against God

Following the story of the woman who anointed the feet of Jesus, one of the most tender stories of love in the Bible, wherein Jesus said of her:

Luke 7:44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Luke 7:45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
Luke 7:46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Luke 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
Luke 7:48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.

Some complained of the waste of such a treasure, betraying their true motive. Can we ever give too much to Jesus, who gave his all for us? Judas complained about the waste of this valuable ointment, he coveted the money. Why was it not sold and given to the poor?

John 12:6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

Mark 14:10 And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests, to betray him unto them.

Was Judas getting even with Jesus because he was corrected in front of others? If we bad mouth another in public, we shall be corrected in public. Had he convinced himself that he was a "victim" being picked on unfairly before others? When we are corrected, our true heart shows. It was this way at the beginning with Cain and Abel. Cain was corrected by God, he was shown truth and given a chance to correct his behavior, but he refused. If we continue in this way, our heart becomes hard and another spirit may come in.

Gen 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Each of us must choose when sin and temptation comes our way. Do not let petty anger and unforgiveness lead you into a deeper sin that you may not soon recover from.

Mark 14:11 And when they heard it, they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought how he might conveniently betray him.

Judas, not heeding the Lord's rebuke of his secret heart, acted apart from the Lord and against the Lord, betraying him for money to the chief priests. They shared in this sin, but the sin of Judas was greater, for he had been close to Jesus for over three years. All sin is against God. As David spoke in his prayer of repentance, following his sin with Bathsheba.

Psa 51:2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
Psa 51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
Psa 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Psa 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
Psa 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

You know the right way, follow Jesus, repent and stay close to God.

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Eaglewings Ministries

No comments: