Thursday, June 21, 2007

Isaiah 21 - Babylon in Trevail

Babylon in Trevail

Isa 21:1 The burden of the desert of the sea. As whirlwinds in the south pass through; so it cometh from the desert, from a terrible land.

The plain of Babylon was overrun with water from the Tigris and Eupratis Rivers. The invading armies would come in as whirlwinds, destroying everything in their path.

In the United States Civil war, the Union General Sherman marched through Georgia in a war of destruction. They burned the city of Atlanta and destroyed everything in their path in their march to the sea. This was as the conquest of Babylon.

Zechariah describes this kind of whirlwind.

Zec 9:14 And the LORD shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the Lord GOD shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south.

Isa 21:2 A grievous vision is declared unto me; the treacherous dealer dealeth treacherously, and the spoiler spoileth. Go up, O Elam: besiege, O Media; all the sighing thereof have I made to cease.

The Medes and the Persians would spoil the land.

Isa 21:3 Therefore are my loins filled with pain: pangs have taken hold upon me, as the pangs of a woman that travaileth: I was bowed down at the hearing of it; I was dismayed at the seeing of it.
Isa 21:4 My heart panted, fearfulness affrighted me: the night of my pleasure hath he turned into fear unto me.

The reaction to this destruction was as a woman travailing in birth, no escape until the time of deliverance.

This was happening to idolatrous Babylon. What of those who have faith in the living God?

Rom 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Rom 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

Psa 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
Psa 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Psa 139:9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Psa 139:10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
Psa 139:11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
Psa 139:12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
Psa 139:13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Babylon would have its time of trevail and so shall we. We are living in a Babylon country, that is turning to other gods. But we trust in the LORD God who loves us and we know that he will keep us. Trouble will come to all peoples. It is God that delivers us. It is Jesus who has placed us into God's kingdom. No nation will be victorious for long, if they oppose God's people. We are victorious in Jesus.

Eaglewings Ministries

No comments: