Monday, September 8, 2008

Do not forget the power

Do Not Forget The Power
 
James 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
James 1:23  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
James 1:24  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
James 1:25  But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
James 1:26  If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
James 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

 
Sometimes I forget things. I was at a church birthday party for an old friend. I was going to make photos of the event as a gift. I arrived and began taking a few pictures and I noticed the battery that powered the camera was low. I always carry a spare, so I put in the spare and it appeared to be discharged, no power in the camera. Had I forgotten to charge the batteries? I did not want to run out of power so I hurried to me car drove to where I had another battery several miles away. On the way my heart was beating fast and I began praising the Lord, giving him glory. I thanked him for all he has done for me and who he is. I began praying for people and singing praises. I was not going to let my heart be troubled.
 
Phil 4:6  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Phil 4:7  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
 
On my way back to the birthday party,  I had a thought. You put an extra battery in the camera, but did you turn on the power? Probably not. Let's take this to a spiritual level. We have been given power by God, but for some reason we do not use it. When trouble comes we can be overcome, if we do not have the power turned on. If we get upset and confused, we are not relying on the power of a sound mind, we forgot the power source within. 
 
James 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
James 1:23  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
James 1:24  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

 
One source of power is the word of God. It warns us of sin in our life, we must confess and have God remove our sins through Jesus Christ. The word is to be stored in our minds and hearts so that we have power through it to overcome the devil. Jesus overcame by speaking the word of God to the devil when tempted in the wilderness. Do we hear and forget what we hear? One way to not forget is to meditate on what we hear and to put the word to use in our life. To learn something is to have a change of behavior. We are to renew our minds and our behavior by the word of God. We are to conform to the will of God, and not the way of the world.

James 1:25  But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
 
So one source of power within a child of God is the word of God. The word of God obeyed and applied in our lives. The word of God spoken in faith is power from God.
 
Rom 1:16  For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Rom 1:17  For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
 
We must be of faith to be of use to God. Power without faith is power unused.

The second source of power within, is the Holy Spirit. The power of the word of God with the power of the Holy Spirit. We combine them and we may do the work of Jesus.
 
John 14:12  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
John 14:13  And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 14:14  If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
John 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.
So the third source of power is prayer. By faith, we may ask anything in his name and authority and we receive from God.  We ask and we are to hear from God. We are responsible for our confession.
 
James 1:26  If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
 
We are to be careful what words come out of our mouths. We speak good words, words of faith. The thoughts in our mind may be placed in our minds by the devil, so we must not allow words that destroy faith to come out of our mouth. He cannot read our mind but he does hear our words. We must filter our words to make them conform to the words of Jesus. Not every imagination of our heart is good. Our words come from our thoughts and our heart.
 
1 Cor 14:32  And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1 Cor 14:33  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

 
2 Cor 10:3  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2 Cor 10:4  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pullingdown of strong holds;)
2 Cor 10:5  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

 
James 1:19  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
James 1:20  For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

 
With the word of God, the power of God and prayer, we have the ability to do the work of Jesus with power. Through prayer and the Holy Spirit we will be directed to use this power to help those we minister to. Next we must obey and go forth.
 
James 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

 
We must do the works of Jesus in his power, putting away sins and pride of man. This will bring glory to God.
 
John 15:8  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
John 15:9  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
John 15:10  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
John 15:11  These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
John 15:12  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

 
The power of love is within; the power of God to do the work of Jesus. Jesus healed the afflicted, he cast out devils and he had power to forgive sins.
 
Mat 8:2  And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
Mat 8:3  And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
Mat 8:13  And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.
Mat 8:14  And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.
Mat 8:15  And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.
Mat 8:16  When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
Mat 8:17  That it might be fulfilled which wasspoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.
 
Jesus gave his disciples a command
 
Mark 16:15  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mark 16:16  He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:17  And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:18  They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mark 16:19  So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mark 16:20  And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

 
This is the command of Jesus as disciples and sons of God. Go forth with power. If you are not able to go forth, then pray for others. There is work to do. If we do not sow the word we shall not reap a harvest of souls.  Be prepared for the work of the Lord. Check your power source: are you daily in the word? Are you filled with the Holy Spirit? Are you praying for needs and hearing from God? Are you forgetting to do something? It is time to examine our hearts. Submit all to the LORD.


 

No comments: