Saturday, July 28, 2007

Genesis 17:1-8 Abraham and Sarah

Abraham and Sarah

Gen 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Jehovah appeared before Abram. It had been 24 years since the LORD made the first mention of the covenant.

I AM -- Almighty God; El Shaddai; walk before me, and be perfect.(tamiym (taw-meem') without blemish, complete, full, perfect, sincerely (-ity), sound, without spot, undefiled, upright(-ly), whole.)

Be a faithful servant of the LORD, without blemish or without being two faced.

Gen 17:2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

The covenant still stands through the seed of Abram and Sara and their spiritual seed through Jesus Christ.

John 8:33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
John 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
John 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Gen 17:3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

Abram fell on his face, as other great men would do in the presence of God.

Josh 5:14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

Mat 26:39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Gen 17:4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
Gen 17:5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

Abram meant high father, Abraham meant a father of a multitude, although Israel remained a separate people. There would be many nations through Jesus Christ, people of faith from the Gentile nations.

Gen 17:6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

Rev 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;Abraham would have only two sons; one of flesh and one of faith, and promise. From the Seed, Jesus would come many children of faith. From Abrahams descendants their would be kings, especially David and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

In their generations, refers to the children of Isaac, and Jacob. God is king and father to Spiritual Israel and Israel the nation.

Gen 17:8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

Jerusalem is in the land of Canaan.

The LORD's side of the Promise:

1. Abraham will be very fruitful,[vs 8] with nations and kings as his descendents.
2. The covenant is of everlasting duration, between not only God and Abraham, but God and all of Abraham's descendents.
3. God promises to be Abraham's God and the God of all his descendants.
4. The whole land of Canaan will be an everlasting possession to Abraham and his descendents.

No comments: